Graham Armstrong's Reviews > A Time to Kill

A Time to Kill by John Grisham

May 14, 11

bookshelves: crime
Read in May, 2011

I have to admit I read this book a while back. I also saw the movie a while back. But while waiting at Boston Logan airport I saw the book on the shelf and knowing I wouldn't get much sleep I decided to buy the book in the hope that I could use my time during the 6 hour flight.

Hand on heart I am not a massive crime fan, but having read the Firm, I have been a fan of John Grisham, so please bear that in mind.

The backdrop of this book, the deep south, back when the Clan was in evident, and black and whites were segregated, is the setting for this novel. The trigger, the rape of a 10 year old black girl and her father taking revenge on the two white men who committed the act.

Like Grisham's other books, the legal side of this novel is are flawless. They are the heart of the stories. But this one also captures the human side of the people involved. It captures the situation of the time, it captures the anger, frustration and hurt. And without spoiling the story, the summing up of the court case bought tears to my eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Time to Kill.