Eve's Reviews > The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey

May 18, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, favorites
Read from May 14 to 17, 2011

Dear, dear gastropod...how was I to know that you are the epitome of elegance and strength of character?

Bailey develops a mysterious illness at the end of a trip to the Swiss Alps. While convalescing on her farm in Maine, she is trying to adjust to the sudden loss of control in her life. Practically incapacitated, and depending on the assistance of a caregiver and irregular visits from friends, she soon succumbs to depression and the monotony of the sick bed. A friend decides to bring nature to her by planting wild violets in a pot, along with a little woodland snail that she happens to find in the woods, and placing them by her bedside.

What follows is a close observation of this little creature's habits and well...personality! No longer lonely, Bailey looks forward to each new day, and develops a voracious appetite for more snail research. The snail's determination, strength, and even romantic sensibilities are examples that are emulable. I could list all the great things that make snails so cool, but then you wouldn't read the book, right? Ugh! You're a sly one...

Although Bailey attributed all of the snail's intricate qualities to the theory of Evolution, her observations and case notes pointed me in the opposite direction. I was bowled over by it's intelligent design, and the intelligent Creator behind it. Nothing was missed, from the way a snail ensures it's survival during winter to it's courtship rituals. Snails are deep! So true are the words found at Romans 1:20 "...For His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable..."

If you get a chance to read this, please do. I'm sure you'll relate to both the snail and the author, especially if you're an introvert, or find that you can't do what you used to do because of declining health. Take a lesson from the gastropod, and keep sliming ever forward!

Climb Mount Fuji
O snail
but slowly, slowly

—Kobayashi Issa (1763-1828)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating.

05/16/2011 page 47
23.0% ""Those of us with illnesses are the holders of the silent fears of those with good health.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn What a beautiful review!

message 2: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve Thank you! You made my day! :0)

message 3: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Well, you've inspired me to want to read this book :-) Is the ending very sad? Sometimes I'm not in the mood for tearjerkers... I'm guessing that, since Bailey is the writer, she must recover?

message 4: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve Oh no, it's not a sad ending at all, and the epilogue tied all the loose ends up too. I like closure!

message 5: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Hooray! Thank you again :-)

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa What a fanTAStic review!

message 7: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve Lisa wrote: "What a fanTAStic review!"

Thank you, Lisa! This is seriously one of my favorite books. I hope you get a chance to read it.

message 8: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I just put it on the kindle wish list ;)

message 9: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve Lisa wrote: "I just put it on the kindle wish list ;)"

NICE! I'm so excited for you!