Matt's Reviews > Flash Gold

Flash Gold by Lindsay Buroker

5192248
May 14, 11

Read in May, 2011

Ok. Airship pirates? Check! Modified rifle and home-made smoke bombs? Check! Sword-slinging stranger? Check! Weird mash up of genres with a steampunk bent? Check!

Sign me up!

Well, it went something like that the other night. I downloaded the short sampler and tore through it in record time. A quick check of the clock…9:27 pm, I had to get up at 4:15, I would just download the full book, only 99cents, and read it tomorrow. I stayed up until 10:50pm to finish the book. That should be a good enough selling point right there, but I will expand some.

As always, I hate reviews that give away the story so here goes. A nice, quick and short story, with very good writing. I never once had to stop and go “Huh?” in the passages, even ones filled with action.

It is the story of Kali, a strong and intelligent eight-teen year old who has aspirations to win a dog sled race with a mechanical contraption…much to the other racers’ anger. Kali is not your normal girl with a normal past either. She is extremely intelligent, apparently taking after her father, some sort of scientist who uncovered the secret of Flash Gold. Of course, there are those that want the Flash Gold to themselves and will stop at nothing to get their paws on it.

The little bits of Kali’s past eluded to here and there throughout the story are interesting and will provide you with a desire for a follow up novel to delve deeper into her past. The story of her and Cedar’s relationship is intriguing and has enough of those awkward moments to make it genuine and never feel forced. The quirky little world the author Ms Buroker has creating is interesting and works well for the story with just enough unique elements to make you enjoy the world and want to see more.

Over all I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an adventure, especially one with a strong female lead that is realistic, intelligent and has the wit to make you chuckle as you read about her adventures. With any luck, we will see more of Kali in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash Gold.