Leslie's Reviews > Angel Falls

Angel Falls by Kristin Hannah

May 17, 2011

it was ok
Read from May 14 to 17, 2011

An older title, published in 2000, I actually read the pb version but I don't think that's a big deal.

I really wanted to like this book. I had never read Kristin Hannah's work before.It was a fast read because I wanted to see how it all turned out. However, I found it meandering and repetitive when the characters went into their own versions of what was going on in their lives. I skipped though much of those parts when I was reading things I'd already read previously. I found Mikaela's relationship with Julian out of touch. Maybe more out of reach and silly. I had to shake my head that "Kayla" was simply able to disappear from the Hollywood life, with a baby in tow, in those early years. Maybe I'm too critical. I didn't quite understand why Rosa, Mikaela's mother, felt like a maid/cook in her own daughter's house to me. She sure didn't come across as a grandma and that made me feel bad for her. Not that anyone treated her disrespectfully, I just felt after 10 years of marriage Liam would have been a little more caring toward her, or so it seemed to me. Julian was a real jerk, and I know that's the way he was suppose to be. I wondered how Jayce was going to handle the knowledge she discovered. Can't really imagine a sixteen year old girl keeping that one to herself...oh well, so goes life in the world of fiction.

What I did like was the portrayal of a family working together through a terrible crisis. I applauded the marriage commitment and the role of real love versus "in love". Hannah had some great lines but I kind of floundered on some of the stuff I felt was unnecessary, like the mention of "true love" way too many times. A couple of times fine, we get it.

My favorite line: Him, an ordinary man whose only claim to the extraordinary was the depth of his love for a woman. Pg 39. Now that is beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Falls.