mathiasx's Reviews > Land of Lisp: Learn to Program in Lisp, One Game at a Time!

Land of Lisp by Conrad Barski

May 14, 2011

liked it
Read in May, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Land of Lisp.

07/27/2014 marked as: unfinished
07/27/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Trevor (new) - added it

Trevor Bramble Curious to hear more on your rating.

message 2: by mathiasx (last edited Sep 10, 2015 06:09PM) (new) - added it

mathiasx Trevor wrote: "Curious to hear more on your rating."

It may be unfair to rate this book at only 3 stars. It's likely more of a 4 star that I'd like more if I gave it the chance. I was going through earlier and realized I hadn't rated it, so gave it 3 stars without picking it up again.

I've never read through the whole thing cover to cover, but instead did bits and pieces since it came out. I'm likely very biased by having a stronger background in Clojure (computing with immutable data structures) and SICP Scheme (computing by recursion) -- the "let's mutate some global state in an earmuffs var" from the get-go didn't feel as clean or interesting as some of the mind-bending I've had to do to understand, say, implementing a component-entity-system game engine in Clojure(Script). The only feeling I can liken this to is to go from OOP where you have very strong feelings about how to structure your code to some BASIC syntax where everyone feels it is fine to jump around with GOTO. Ok, maybe it wasn't that extreme..

And lastly, since I can judge its introduction to Common Lisp to other intros to Common Lisp (even if this isn't its main goal as an intro-to-Common-Lisp book would be) I found its explanation of cons cells and car/cdr to not really be all that clear at all. For that, I'd have to say that Common LISP: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation does a far better job.

YMMV, and if anything, it gets high marks for being a FUN book, which not a lot of programming books are.

message 3: by Trevor (new) - added it

Trevor Bramble mathiasx wrote: "Trevor wrote: "Curious to hear more on your rating."

Thank you!

I ask because it's been in my backlog for awhile and I've only mustered the focus to read through the very earliest pages, but it seems like a more engaging way to try LISP than, say, The Little Schemer.

The other book you mention is on my list as well. =^)

Thanks again.