Kay's Reviews > Japanese Fairy Tales

Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki

Dec 03, 12

bookshelves: fairytales-and-flights-of-fancy, poetry-and-anthologies, 2012, 4th-bookshelf-abcs
Read from November 22 to December 02, 2012

Typos are disappointing; clearly, the editor fell asleep on this one. However, the stories themselves are really interesting. Quite a few of them seem to end rather abruptly, and I can't decide if details were left out because of language barriers or if that's just the way Japanese fairytales go. It makes them jarring, even for short stories (which I dislike to begin with, because I always want them to last so much longer).

The further in I get, the more difficult it becomes to pay attention. Some of the stories are cool and some of them seem kind of pointless. Maybe I should just stop trying to convince myself that I like short stories. It might just be the awful editing. My favorite was when they substituted "poop" for "poor". It's probably somewhere between two and three stars for me, but because only one or two of the tales really stuck with me (in a good way), I think it's closer to an overall 2. A pity, because I like fairytales generally, just think the bad editing really ruined this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Japanese Fairy Tales.