Kara-karina's Reviews > Long Lankin

Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough

May 25, 11

Read from May 19 to 25, 2011

What a scary and beautiful children story. My God, last twenty pages I was tense, I felt sick in the stomach and I couldn't stop reading this nightmare. Wow!
The book starts very slow. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not from the start, but give it at least 50 pages and you won't be able to get away.
Linsey Barraclough shows poor England of 1950s, where 2 little girls' dad had to send them away to the countryside to their great auntie Ida, because he just couldn't look after them and there was no one in London to take care of them.
But the place they are goingt to is cursed, there is a sleeping monster who is snatching little children, and now that the youngest girl is there, he wakes up...
It was an interesting story which described the hardships of those times and reminded me how we don't appreciate what we have nowadays. Great language, very colourful description of children who are the main characters of the story.
As it's so typical for such a scary tale that nobody tells the children anything. instead they have to find out everything for themselves. There was also a question I kept asking myself: why if they were in danger Ida couldn't take them to London and look after them herself there? She obviously had the money to do it. But not even once this option came up in the story. This is my only complaint. Everything else is absolutely brilliant!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Lankin.