Brooke's Reviews > The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History

The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel

Jun 02, 11

Read from May 14 to 22, 2011

For the type of book this is, I would rate it a 5 star, but gave it 4 because it was not what I consider extremely enjoyable (with that I would've given it a 3, but it was too well written so I went in the middle). It was very well written, and much more entertaining to read than a textbook, for sure. This book opened my eyes to many things such as how horrible war truly can be (without any graphic descriptions of any kind) and some things that went on during WWII I had no clue about! Why don't they touch upon this in school? That baffles me when the theft, loss, and destruction of so many historical art pieces was such a huge part of the war! The author instilled in me many of the horrors of war in only a few sentences, without morbid detail, and very to the point that was not accomplished as well in anything I've read or seen about war in the past, not even in a movie. I've been trying to figure out why this is and can't. This book is a must read, at least once. I doubt I'll read it again, but only because this is not my reading category of preference.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monuments Men.