Annie's Reviews > Tempest Rising

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

May 17, 11

Read on May 14, 2011, read count: 1

The Storyline

I liked the storyline, I thought it was cool. There's definitely room for a sequel, but when the characters are fun and the world the author's created is kind of cool, who cares? :) The pace of this novel was just right for me, and the action sequence was at the end - as it should be!

The Romance

Kona (aka Kai in the ARC edition apparently) is an interesting, steamy hero. However... at first I wasn't sure why Tempest instantly liked him (and constantly thought about him, apparently) and later the roles were reversed: just what did Kona see in Tempest?? This constant wondering, which granted might just be a unique 'me' thing, sort of annoyed me a lot.

The Characters

Tempest narrates the novel, and she's really easy to like. She looks after her little brother, surfs and has some very cool friends (although we don't seem to see much of them). Secondary characters somehow felt a little absent, however when I did read scenes with them in they were always very believable and true to stereotype.

Tempest's main conflict throughout the novel is whether or not she should become a mermaid, which let's be frank, is a pretty cool question. I really liked the tension and mystery inherent in this.

Overall Verdict

This is a super fun summer read, with a sizzling hero. Very good escapism on offer here! Definitely worth adding to your reading list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.

05/14/2011 page 63
18.0% "Not sure what to think of Kona yet, but loving this book otherwise. Yey!"
05/14/2011 page 85
24.0% "I am loving the quotes that head up each 'part' of the book. Really cool choices. I may have to post some up on Twitter. :)"