Andree's Reviews > Driven: A Photobiography of Henry Ford

May 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dcf, may, nf, dcf-2011-2012
Read on May 14, 2011

Driven
Goodreads says that Lee Iococca wrote this book with Don Mitchell. Iococca wrote the foreward to the book only. I hope that this is corrected immediately.

This biography, published by National Geographic, is an excellent book with wonderful photographs. Mitchell's writing is clear and he ably shows the conflicting sides of Henry Ford. I do wonder if he explored Ford's antisemitism and antilabor activities. Why would Ford be so inclusive to African-Americans, the disabled, women, immigrants, and workers on the one hand and then be so vehemently opposed to the Jews and "wink" at the violent union busting activities of his pal Harry Bennett?

This is a valuable biography that every school should probably own and should be included in history and reading curricula. But I am lost as to why it is so exceptional that it was nominated for the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award in Vermont. It is a good book, but not a great book. It offers nothing new to the Ford history or discussion.

Ordinarily, I would have given this book four or five stars, but because it is a DCF nominee, I have to award it only three.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Driven.