Chris's Reviews > Always Running

Always Running by Luis J. Rodríguez

Mar 13, 08

Recommended for: the kids I teach
Read in March, 2008

This is a very vivid, literary memoir about growing up into the gang life in Chicano Los Angeles. It was recommended to me by a student who had read it in juvie, and I can see why he liked it. I think this book, for gang members still in their teens, probably could have a real affect on their lives. I found it to be plain good literature, and it made me think about some of the things that I have always thought about with gangs. For one thing, when I was younger, we always had a group of friends we hung around with in my town, but no one would have called us a "gang". I wonder where people draw the distinction. We got into fights with other groups of kids, we stayed out all night, deceiving our parents. We were not, however, wearing identifiable colors, or being harassed by the police all of the time. Of course, the main distinction comes from the fact that we were not as poor as the people in this book, so our actions were never out of desperation or survival, but instead for amusement. The desperation and constant fear that pervades in this book is very powerful. I'm glad I read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always Running.