Angela James's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

May 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, paranormal, my-faves
Read from May 14 to December 07, 2011

I loved this book. I enjoy the author's books under her other pen name, Seanan McGuire, so it doesn't come as a surprise to me that I liked this book. But it did come as a surprise that I loved it.

There are a lot of reviews here on Goodreads (and elsewhere) detailing what the book is about, what issues it may have (it is LONG), etc., but I'll tell you why I liked it: it was different from other "zombie" books out there. Instead of taking the zombie twist and making it an urban fantasy, or glamorizing zombies in some way, it takes our world, the world we know, gives it a zombie outbreak that happened because of medical science, and then moves us 20 years into the future, after the outbreak, and says "here's how different your world is. Would you be able to live in it, survive in it, and deal with the possibility of danger in every aspect of your life?"

Also, I feel I must warn you, the last 20% of this book ripped my heart out. My husband walked in while I was reading, looked at me and said "Are you crying?" When I replied yes he simply said, "I love you." (while laughing at me). Don't get me wrong, this is not a sad book, but it is an action book and it is a realistic book. Bad things happen to good people.

Anyway, if you love fiction, if you love zombies, if you love a book that takes our society and turns it on its head, this book is for you. And really, at $2.99 for the digital book right now, you don't have much to lose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olga (new)

Olga Ooh, let me know how it is. That's been on my TBR list since it came out!

Angela James Olga, I loved it. I've added my review above!

Laura (Kyahgirl) just bought it for my kobo based on your great review :-)

message 4: by Estara (new)

Estara +10 for your husband, may I just say enviously.

Angela James Estara, there are things I do that often make him look at me and say "I love you so much" because he thinks I'm a giant goofball and my quirks make him laugh. Thank goodness for him!

message 6: by Estara (new)

Estara Yes, that's what I thought. What a gem. *green with envy* May you be blessed to be together for ages and ages.

MaryK Audiobook I read an excerpt off her website, and it sounded like a really good book. But, sheesh, I cry over Romances. I don't want to think about what this book would do to me.

Out of complete nosiness, is your hubby a reader or just reader friendly?

Angela James He's not a reader at all. And by that I mean, he reads magazines. He's not a book reader. So I guess we're proof that two people who fall exactly opposite of each other can be very happy. He is, however, very knowledgeable about the book industry, loves the fact that I like to read, and has attended book conferences with me. So I guess you could say he's very reader friendly.