Angela's Reviews > Running in the Family

Running in the Family by Michael Ondaatje

May 15, 11

bookshelves: canadian-lit, memoir, non-fiction, biography, poetry
Recommended to Angela by: Picked up from Jerry & Kathy's garage sale
Read from May 12 to 15, 2011

Wonderful. A mix of memories, quotes, family legend, photos, and poetry, this is, as Ondaatje says in the Acknowledgments, "not a history but a portrait or "gesture"" of the life of his parents and grandparents in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running in the Family.

05/14/2011 page 74
35.92% ""We used the thalagoya to scale walls. We tied a rope around its neck and heaved it over a wall. Its claws could cling to any surface, and we pulled ourselves up the rope after it.""
05/14/2011 page 83
40.29% ""Sanskrit was governed by verticals, but its sharp grid features were not possible in Ceylon. Here the Ola leaves which people wrote on were too brittle. A straight line would cut apart the leaf and so a curling alphabet was derived from its Indian cousin.""
05/14/2011 page 83