Vivien 's Reviews > Playing Hurt

Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

May 15, 11

Read from May 14 to 15, 2011

I really did enjoy this book in the end. I really fell for the characters. They seemed so realistic throughout the entire book.
Some back story...I used to be a dance major. I did Ballet for most of my life. I ended up having 2 knee surgeries in the end, so I couldn't continue. So the feelings that Chelsea was going through really resonated with me. The nostalgia was really intense at times. Feeling like you're an inadequate athlete, even though it's because of an injury. It really churned up feelings that I hadn't felt in such a long time.
I didn't have a problem with the sexual content of the novel. I thought it was written really well and true to the characters. Yes, I did have a problem with the cheating, but who wouldn't? That's why it's called cheating. It was a great experience to watch Chelsea understand the complex relationship with her and Gabe.
I thought the writing was beautiful. I honestly wanted this book to be longer, so I could be with the characters longer. I wanted to watch them grow more. It was such a fascinating process.
The dual narration was perfect for this story. While there were times that it did move slowly, the narration helped pick up the pace.
In the end, I thought this novel was done well for the story that was told. I hope there's a sequel, because I don't want to leave these characters. They were so genuine, even if some of the decisions they made weren't the right ones. They were ones that the characters HAD to make and I understood why they made them.
Whether or not I agreed with the decisions that were made, I do think Clint and Chelsea are really believable characters. In the end, that's all I could ask for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing Hurt.