Christen E.'s Reviews > Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice

Life, In Spite of Me by Kristen Jane Anderson

$19.99, 207 pages

ISBN 9781601422521

Inspirational

Take a sneak peek here

At the age of seventeen, Kristen Jane Anderson attempted to commit suicide. Dealing with the loss of three friends and her grandmother and a rape all in the course of two years, Kristen felt like she could go on no longer. On a cold January night in icy Illinois, Kristen laid down on the train tracks and waited for the train to barrel over her to end her life. Miraculously, Kristen didn't die that night. She did, however, lose both of her legs.

Life, In Spite of Me is Kristen's amazing story of survival and recovery. I love reading stories about people who are completely broken and think they are useless and God surprises everyone and does a huge work in their life. Kristen went from a depressed teen ready to end it all to a joyful young woman who is now encouraging other broken teens (and adults) around the globe with her story and ministry (www.reachingyou.org). I would have to say that my two favorite parts in Kristen’s story were where two different rescue workers randomly met her years later and told her that there is no way, no way she should have survived. As one of the paramedics that had been on scene later informed Kristen, “... You know, we didn't think you were going to make it. You lost about eight pints of blood. People are supposed to die after they lose five. When I first saw you, I was shocked you were still alive. I’ve seem people die from far less serious injuries. There’s no doubt that God saved you life that night, because medically... well, medically your survival was impossible... You don’t know how big a miracle... They tried to bring in a Flight for Life helicopter for you, but it was too foggy. Instead they did something I hadn’t seen before and I haven’t seen happen since. They radioed in and had all the intersections between where you were and the hospital blocked. A drive that normally would have taken forty-five minutes took only eight minutes.” I read this and literally had goose bumps. God truly had a bigger plan for Kristen. This is a wonderful book for encouragement whether or not you are struggling with suicidal thoughts. It's a quick read (I finished it in two days... with a toddler running around and two massive deadlines looming I was surprised I was able to pick it up at all). I would recommend this read to everyone.

Note: I received this book free for review from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group. A positive review was not required

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, In Spite of Me.

05/14/2011 page 17