Jadaloves's Reviews > Something Blue

Something Blue by Emily Giffin

May 18, 2011

Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I didn’t think that I would enjoy a book with Darcy as the main character since she was such a wench in Something Borrowed. But I found that even though I wasn’t a fan of Darcy, I still really enjoyed this book and couldn’t put it down. Giffin is a great writer who has mastered the art of drawing you into a novel.
Darcy is one of the most selfish, self-absorbed characters I’ve ever read about, but it was interesting to get into her head and see how she justified her misdeeds. And true to the Darcy we all met in Something Borrowed, she thinks only of herself, is only concerned about image, and doesn’t really think things through. I didn’t think I could be anymore infuriated with her than I was in Something Borrowed, but she takes delusional to a whole other level in this book.
Since her life is falling apart, and the father of her baby has made it clear that he wants nothing to do with her, Darcy flees to London to rebuild her life better and more glamorous than the one she had in New York. She bamboozles Ethan into letting her stay with him and proceeds to shop her life away. When she confronts Ethan about everything that went down with Rachel she gets a rude awakening from her childhood friend.
I will say that even by the end of this book I still didn’t really like Darcy as a person. I think her past transgressions were just too great for me. But I did finish the book having a little bit of respect for her. Once she feels the first kick from her unborn child and gets a reality check from Ethan, she has an epiphany. She starts putting her life back together, vowing to become a better person who thinks of others and not just herself.
I still love Ethan. He is just a genuinely great guy who is willing to give others the benefit of the doubt. He’s kind, creative, and sweet. But he is also strong and firm. I must say I hated that him and Darcy ended up together but I saw it coming the whole time. I felt he deserved so much better and would have even been okay with him ending up with Rachel. I just don’t like Darcy for him.
Overall the book was a good read. I like Darcy’s growth as a person, and her becoming a mother. I think that grounded her in a way nothing else could. I love Ethan, and I really love that you find out what happens with Dex and Rachel. If you’ve read Something Borrowed, then the follow up Something Blue is a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Blue.