Nancy Schober's Reviews > The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey

May 13, 11

bookshelves: efficiency

SO during our skiing holiday I was locked in a room with only one book. It was Stephen Covey's The 7 habits of Highly Effective People. Once again I am probably the last person on the planet to have read this popular book.[return][return]"natural laws cannot be broken. It is impossible for us to break the law. We can only break ourselves against the law.'"[return][return]How many times have I seen this with fitness and nutrition? People trying to coerce their body into doing something it is incapable of. So much better to work with you body's natural laws to coax it into doing what you want it to, to the best of it's ability. I also got two more of his books. After reading 'First things first', I keep asking myself, 'am I trading doing something good for doing something better?'[return][return]I find it depressing that these books expounding boyscout virtues had to be written at all. Don't people already know this stuff?[return][return]Favorite quotes:[return][return]Suppose you� ve been having trouble with your eyes and you decide to go to an optometrist for help. After briefly listening to your complaint, he takes off his glasses and hands them to you.[return]� Put these on,� he says. � I� ve worn this pair of glasses for ten years now and they� ve really helped me. I have an extra pair at home; you can wear these.� [return]So you put then on, but it only makes the problem worse.[return]� This is terrible!� you exclaim. � I can� t see a thing!� [return]� Well what� s wrong?� he asks. � They work great for me. Try harder.� [return]� I am trying,� you insist. � Everything is a blur.� [return]� Well, what� s the matter with you? Think positively.� [return]� Okay. I positively can� t see a thing.� [return]� Boy, are you ungrateful! he chides.� � And after all I� ve done to help you!� [return]What are the chances you� d go back to that optometrist the next time you needed help? Not very good, I would imagine. You don� t have much confidence in someone who doesn� t diagnose before he or she prescribes.[return]But how often do we diagnose before we prescribe in communication?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.