Maninee's Reviews > High Stakes

High Stakes by Meg Cabot

May 13, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read from May 12 to 13, 2011

After writing a scalding review on the first of this series I least expected my self to be reading the second one of it, except it seems that fate had other plans for me. I was on my way to Bangalore on a train journey of 36 hours with nothing to read except this one book I had with me. Finding it extremely difficult to kill time I turned my attention to this book as a last resort to survive the boredom. And here's my verdict: I'm glad I had nothing else to read.

This book isn't half as bad as the last one was though it isn't fantabulous. For starters, the main character, Suze, has developed a lot. In the last book she was too aggressive and insensitive for my liking. I always had a soft spot for the poor lost souls here on earth who haven't made their way back yet, and I didn't like the Suze insisted on kicking every ghost's butt whether or not they were harmful. Here she treats them a bit better and though she goes for another brainless boy with good looks, she does slow down at points to ask herself if this is the guy kind of guy she wants to be with.

Also this book had a good twist to it at the end and didn't have such an obvious criminal at hand. The plot was wayyyy better and, the other characters of the book, Suze's mom for example, found more print space, though it was dissapointing not to have a bit more of Doc, Suze's youngest step brother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Stakes.