Cynthia's Reviews > Sophia

Sophia by D.B. Reynolds

May 19, 11

bookshelves: requested-review, paranormal-romance, vampires
Recommended to Cynthia by: Laurie Garrison
Recommended for: Paranormal romance readers that enjoy REAL Vamps!
Read from April 25 to 28, 2011, read count: Once

Reviewed at Bitten By Paranormal Romance

SOPHIA is Book #4 in the Vampires in America series. Although I haven’t read the first three books in the series, I didn’t have any problem acclimating to the nuances of this wonderful, preternatural world. There are actually two stories running concurrently here: Sophia and Colin along with Raphael and Cyn. SOPHIA began with a helluva hook and didn’t let up.

After many years, Sophia is summoned back to Vancouver by her Sire, Lucien. When she arrives, Sophia finds Lucien missing and three Vampires of the nest murdered. Her inquires lead her to Seattle. While just outside of Seattle, Colin, a former Navy SEAL and “sort of police” receives a call about gun shots being fired. When he investigates, he finds a woman – a Vampire’s mate – horribly beaten and on the verge of death.

Lord Raphael controls all of the US territory west of the Rockies. Because of his connection with his “children”, he feels two of his Seattle nest vampires being destroyed. He gathers his staff and they travel to the compound looking for the ones who did this.

Cyn (Cynthia) is Raphael’s human mate. She is an ex-law officer and feels very protective of Raphael, much to his consternation. She takes a lead role in the investigation. And you can only imagine how Raphael feels about that!

To complicate matters, Sophia and Colin have a history, *wagging eyebrows* but they haven’t seen one another for 10 years. The stage is set as all of the players converge in the Seattle area.

Raphael raked his gaze over the remaining vampires. “An outrage has been perpetrated on us, and it will not stand. No one. . . no one touches what is mine and lives. Prepare yourselves gentlemen. Tomorrow, we hunt.”

In a world where the vampires are out, they still suffer prejudice. A small faction of fanatics has an elaborate plan to push their agenda to the forefront. As the investigation gets under way and the relationships heat-up, the vampires start to show their true colors.

The story line of SOPHIA is riveting. These vamps (and humans too) are ruthless when it comes to protecting their own. Lord Raphael is the uber-alpha leader. None of his children or visiting vampires gives him any lip. The only one that gets away with it is his mate, Cyn. You won’t find any twinkling, day-walkers here. The vampires are merciless when necessary, but honorable and loyal and, oh so HAWT!

I could gush on and on about this book, but I’ll just hit on the things I enjoyed the most. The witty repartee between Cyn and Colin, and the close relationship they develop. Raphael and Cyn: She gives as good as she gets. Duncan, Duncan, DUNCAN! The plot twists and turns. The violent encounters and sexy escapades!

SOPHIA is a rollicking good time!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sophia.