Kat's Reviews > Stories I Only Tell My Friends

1967788
May 19, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, read-in-2011
Read from May 13 to 19, 2011, read count: 1

If there's one thing I dislike about celebrity autobiographies, it's the amount of affectation and pretension that exist within the pages. While Rob Lowe's memoir certainly contains a lot of name dropping, I couldn't really hold that against him — after all, if you're telling the story of how you worked your way up in Hollywood, it'd be hard not to mention the names of other famous people you met along the way.

I haven't seen much of Lowe's work. I've probably seen two or three of his movies, and none of his TV shows. I never crushed on him as so many other women have (and obviously still do). So I came to the book with very little knowledge of him or his life. It was interesting to learn about his childhood. However, I find it hard to believe that a young boy as good-looking as Rob had trouble getting girls to pay attention to him. Maybe it's because he was so serious about acting from an early age, everyone thought he was gay (he does mention that his classmates called him "faggy" for wanting to act).

Lowe manages to tell the story of his climb to superstardom without mudslinging his fellow actors in the industry. I found that refreshing, because so many other celebrity authors tend to bad-mouth people they've worked with or met in the past, all for the sake of selling a book.

Rob Lowe seems like a decent, stand-up guy who owns up to the mistakes of his youth. I think it's true that beautiful people are often judged harshly because people think they get everything handed to them on a silver platter. But Rob has proven that he's earned his position in Hollywood through a lot of hard work, rejections and tough lessons learned on the price of achieving success at so young an age. So while I might've previously dismissed Mr. Lowe as just another pretty boy, I'm now curious to watch his films and see his talent for myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories I Only Tell My Friends.

Jill I too was shocked by his rise in Hollywood from a boy with rocky parenting. He's so intelligent and thoughtful and love that his family is central to his life.

message 2: by Cjj (new) - added it

Cjj Watch all seasons of The West Wing and you will appreciate Rob Lowe when all is said and done. ;)

Dolly I think you wrote this review for me. I couldn't have said it better.