Natalie's Reviews > The Home of the Blizzard: A True Story of Antarctic Survival

The Home of the Blizzard by Douglas Mawson

May 13, 11

bookshelves: adventure-outdoors, arctic-antarctica, survival, memoir
Read in January, 1997 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I have been living under a rock. How did I miss the story of to recreate Mawson's journey?

Or his book?

Mawson  Life and Death in Antarctica by Tim Jarvis
Mawson: Life and Death in Antarctica

Or his award-winning 90-minute documentary following the expedition that re-enacted the polar survival journey of Sir Douglas Mawson ?

This sensational headline from the time of Jarvis' trip says it all: "Accused of eating a team mate to survive, he's the polar hero history chose to forget. A century later, one remarkable man set out to prove Douglas Mawson was innocent ... "

Interestingly, it never even occured to me after reading his memoir that Mawson cannibalized his fellow climbers. I don't think I'd give a damn if I found out he did, and I don't suppose they would either, but Jarvis trip is a quite a homage to this great explorer and I can't wait to read more about Mawson and what it was like to walk in his footsteps!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Home of the Blizzard.

message 1: by Mahlon (new) - added it

Mahlon Nat, one day I'll find an exploration book that you haven't come across first :)

Hope you're well.