Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > Highland Destiny

Highland Destiny by Laura Hunsaker

May 14, 11

bookshelves: highlander, historical-romance
read count: 1

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit, a big part of me didn't want to read this book. I "met" Laura Hunsaker on Goodreads, having no idea she was an author. We're in some of the same groups; we chat about what we're reading. Then I won a contest where her book was the prize. I was intrigued, but a little worried. I mean, what if it sucks? I put all my reviews on Goodreads. How do you tell someone you like that their book isn't good? Thankfully, I knew this wasn't going to be a problem, just a few pages into my read.

Our story focuses on Mackenzie, a modern-day American who is visiting Scotland with her friend. She is approached by two wizards who whisk her back into the 1800s. They say she is fated to marry a Scotsman named Campbell and stop a war between two warring clans. But before she can make it to her intended, she is kidnapped by Campbell's enemy, Connor. Sparks fly instantly. Connor struggles to look at Mackenzie simply as a tool in his arsenal against Campbell. But he can't fight the urge to kiss her. Over time, those urges get stronger and their relationship grows more physical.

Mackenzie isn't sure how much of her reality she should share with Connor, as she begins to fall for him. And she is beginning to realize that the strange dreams she's had all of her life have been preparing her for this trip back in time. As the details slowly reveal themselves, the picture becomes clearer as to what her true destiny must be.

I really, truly enjoyed this book. Mackenzie is a virginal heroine, but she is feisty and bold. She deals with her trying circumstances with bravery and smarts. Conner is, in a word, hot. It's easy to see how he makes her melt. Their love scenes are great; and so is their romance. Granted, we're not breaking new ground with a time-traveling Highlander story. But this genre is popular for a reason. Because when the book works, the result is playful, entertaining, and sexy. This book works. 4 1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Destiny.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by jD (new) - rated it 4 stars

jD You are right about the plot template. I love the timetravel stories. So you say she is virginal but it also sounds like she does not stay that way LoL. I am putting it on my Highlander pile.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) What fun would there be if she stayed that way?

message 3: by jD (new) - rated it 4 stars

jD It would be YA and I would not even consider it LoL. I am all about "Give To Me Your Leather, Take From Me My Lace"...That song about sums it all up.

Heather Book Savvy Babe I just read this one, and I loved it too!