Krystl Louwagie's Reviews > Fireflies in December

Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent

May 23, 11

Read from May 13 to 23, 2011

I'm not really sure why I liked this book so much. I think it was just plain good storytelling. It was a nice work for it's genre.

I got this book for free from Amazon (and then I tried to send it to my grandma's kindle-unfortunately, it's no longer free. :( ) It's a look into an important summer for a young teen (13)-her family takes in another young girl of color, and it creates a lot of problems in their small town. It takes place after the slaves were free, but when there was still segregation. Maybe it was just the topic, but it did remind me of "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Jesselyn is a strong young woman, and a strong character-she does fly over the handle and over-react to things, but being 13, this is much more acceptable than when it happens with adults in romance novels.
A nicely paced, nicely told story. I'm going to look into this authors other work. She's listed as a Christian writer, and there was some highlighted talk of God in the novel, but it was so nicely handled, it felt real and genuine, not forced or preachy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireflies in December.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Louwagie Aw, wish I had got this one when it was free!

Krystl Louwagie Lacey wrote: "Aw, wish I had got this one when it was free!"

message 3: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Louwagie Krystl wrote: "Lacey wrote: "Aw, wish I had got this one when it was free!"

I can loan it to you (I checked) if you ever decide you want to start reading it."

Oh, good. Thanks!