Kirsty (overflowing library)'s Reviews > Tiger's Curse

May 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: review-books
Read from May 18 to 22, 2011

Tiger's Curse was a brilliant read which I enjoyed a great deal. It had all elements I love in a good book: An engaging and fast paced storyline, a gorgeous young man to swoon over and a wonderfully rich world built up around the main characters that kept me hooked until the last page.

I'm not going to lie I wasn't convinced by the first 50 pages or so of this book when it was set in the circus where Kelsey first mets Ren the Tiger. I don't know if it's just me but I literally can't stand circus books (even when I was a child they were the only Enid Blyton books I refused to read) and I was tempted to stop reading it but as soon as that bit was over I really enjoyed the rest of the book.

The thing that makes this book so wonderfully different from anything else I have read YA was its setting. The majority of the story was set in India and the author clearly has tried really hard to get everything about the setting right. I loved the setting and how the author tried to bring it alive through wonderful description. I also enjoyed all the myths and legends that were woven into the tale. Both of these things gave you as a reader a real sense of the culture of the place you were visiting within the story. It really helped to bring the story alive.

I really liked the characters in this story. I loved how the relationship of the main characters developed as the story progressed (although I didn't quite get the very last bit but I'll come back to that in a minute). I particularly enjoyed seeing the world through Kelsey as she is actually quite naive and a little bit too innocent. I loved Ren completely as he is just a little bit too gorgeous and can't wait to get more of him in the next instalment.

Another thing this book did well is that it was quite fast paced and full of action and adventure throughout. Lately I have read a lot of books that go along slowly and then suddenly at the end everything kicks off. I loved that this one didn't follow that same format and I found that I was so much more engaging in the storyline which meant I keep wanting to read just one more chapter even though I should have been getting on with other stuff.

The only thing I found quite odd about this book was the ending and how things were left between the main characters. I won't say on here what it was but I would be interested to know if anyone else just didn't get it or whether it was just me.

All in all a refreshing different take on the paranormal romance / adventure genre which I really enjoyed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger's Curse.

Sarah How far have you got with this one? I'm about 130 pages in & really enjoying it so far :o)

Kirsty (overflowing library) Not really liking the circus but sticking with it

Sarah I didn't like the circus much either, it felt realistic but I don't like the idea of animals in tiny cages. I'm enjoying it much more now they're in India but I have a feeling it is going to get much more interesting from the point I'm at now onwards. I'm just about to have a nice relaxing bath & carry on reading :o)

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Great review Kirsty - I was wondering how this one would go - will add it to my list of books for the library as I think it will appeal to the younger teens & Enid Blyton fans :D

Sarah Fab review Kirsty & I completely agree with you about the ending, I didn't really get that either lol. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book!!