Nathan Lorraine's Reviews > A Season in Hell/The Drunken Boat

A Season in Hell/The Drunken Boat by Arthur Rimbaud

M 50x66
May 13, 2011

Read in April, 2011

What can i say about Arthur Rimbaud as a writer? He was eighteen when he wrote this epic poem. He almost never wrote again afterwards. A Season in Hell is an epic poem married with a fanstastic short poem called The Drunken Boat. The mass of this review will be of A Season in Hell. As a begining writer I set it in my mind to write poems more than verse. I went to the book store one day and went straight to the poetry section. I saw all kinds of great authors that i read in school. But as i glanced at the picture on the cover of this book i felt a connection. i took it home and read it from cover to cover without putting it down.

A Season in Hell has taught me write without holding back mine or other people's feelings. The fact that A Season in Hell is a collection of poems its easy to say that weren't all written at once. Poems allow you to feel the moment. Examine it till your sick to your stomach. That's what Rimbaud has done in A Season in Hell. He did it so well it put him off writing forever.

The opening line is one of my favorites. It suggest that Rimbaud has run away from a life that once he found to be glorius then one day it wasn't so he fled. At 18 i felt all these things but at 18 i was scratching the surface of what i could do as a writer. Rimbaud wrote a classic that i think will be in the hands of misunderstood youths for many years to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Season in Hell/The Drunken Boat.

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Knox Interesting background. Also that you felt a connection based on the author's photo, and the writing took it from there. Literature really is the only timeless conversation. Good review.