Clifford's Reviews > Rabbit, Run

Rabbit, Run by John Updike

Mar 01, 08

bookshelves: modern-fiction
Recommended for: people who like reading about boring people
Read in February, 2008

I didn't like this book. I can honestly say I don't "get" Updike. There were lots of tersely poetic little sentences and very unique metaphors - I mean it's obvious the guy can write and has style, but his protagonist (Harry Angstrom) is just boring. If you want to read an interesting first-person account of a life then read The "Great Gatsby" or even Irving's epic "The World According to Garp" (Which by the way sports a fairly good does of sardonic humor for those of you who are so inclined).

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate Rabbit or even "judge" Rabbit like a lot of other people who didn't like this book did - I just didn't think that Harry Angstrom (as a character) ever did anything compelling enough to warrant writing a novel about. Maybe that was Updike's point? Considering it took me nearly three weeks to get through this sub 300 page novel I think I'll be steering clear of Rabbit, Redux Rabbit at Rest and the rest of the gang.

Please if anyone can help shed some light on Mr. Updike, I don't want to completely write him off since he is so esteemed. Did he ever write anything compelling that wasn't about Mr. Harry Angstrom?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbit, Run.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haley (new)

Haley J. I have read a couple of short stories by him I really liked, and I've heard "The Centaur" is good. I can't even rate the Rabbit books, though, because I never read more than 10% of one. Can't stomach it.