Sue's Reviews > The Inhabited World

3642045
Jul 03, 2011

bookshelves: literary-fiction, library-book, read-in-2011, favorites
Read from June 28 to July 03, 2011

How is it that a novel about the lingering spirit of a suicide can be one of the most life-affirming books I've read. I'd actually avoided reading this because of the descriptive reviews until a friend convinced me that it was well worth it.

And it is well worth the reading on two levels: the quality of the writing itself and Long's ability to express emotion so carefully and beautifully, as well as the ability to show growth and redemption of the human spirit.

At times the story is difficult but it never takes unkind cuts at its inhabitants who are merely humans (and a spirit) struggling with human problems. It is generous and offers possibilities for the future.

The picture of mental illness and depression gradually taking over a life is devastating but don't let this deter you from reading this novel. That's actually the beginning. There is so much more as well as wonderfully described characters along the way.

The plot is well described in many places and I won't restate it here. I will say the "interaction" of Evan with Maureen made me think, hope and smile.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inhabited World.

06/29/2011 page 66

Bridget This book is, in my opinion, simply amazing. The writing is exquisite, and the story is unusual and very moving. I hope you read it so we can talk about it.

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I will have to work it into my "schedule". I've been reading at a faster clip lately so maybe it won't be too far in the future.

message 3: by Teresa (last edited Jul 03, 2011 07:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Sounds like my kind of book, Sue. I think I had it on my 'mental' TBR when it came out, but of course because my 'mentality' is faulty, it got forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I'll be interested in your response to it Teresa.

message 5: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Oh my, I have to buy myself a copy of this book! :)

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue !!always hope others enjoy something as much as I do. I guess this is the reviewers lot in life!!

message 7: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely So far, we have not differed in our opinions on any book yet. :)

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue that is rather amazing, isn't it.

Actually my set of friends has some pretty good taste from what I can see (hee hee). It is nice, all this give and take and sending ideas back and forth.

message 9: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Yes, it is really amazing!

Teresa Teresa wrote: "Sounds like my kind of book, Sue. I think I had it on my 'mental' TBR when it came out, but of course because my 'mentality' is faulty, it got forgotten. Thanks for the reminder."

I didn't know how prescient I was when I said my 'mentality' was faulty. I started reading this and realized I'd already read it! I must've read it when it first came out, which was pre-GR, but still only in 2006!!

message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Did you like it then....or do you remember?

Don't worry about your mentality. I'm finding I forget details like titles and characters a lot faster than 5 years. (how about in a few weeks?) That's one reason I like having things listed here at GR. I've also added some more books to my "read" list tonight from reading the descriptions here. Funny thing I noticed is that if you change the edition of the book sometimes you can get a more full description of the plot line. Very helpful in series books.

message 12: by Teresa (last edited Jul 10, 2011 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Sue wrote: "Did you like it then....or do you remember?

I did like it. At least, from what I remember. ;)

Yes, I suppose forgetting comes with the territory of reading so many books and not keeping track.

message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Ahh yes. I suppose we could slow down and read fewer, ...muse upon them for a while so they'd set in our memory. But where's the fun in that.

Teresa Sue wrote: "Ahh yes. I suppose we could slow down and read fewer, ...muse upon them for a while so they'd set in our memory. But where's the fun in that."

There are some books that force me to do that, but they are few and far between, and still the time is relatively short. As many (most?) of us here, I think I am unconstitutionally able to read less. ;)

message 15: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue So true. I just finished one of the slower ones, A Tale of Love and Darkness, though I did have to speed up a bit to get it back to the library tomorrow. Of course the Russian novels can't be rushed no matter what. I have my mysteries for the fun and fast that I need from time to time.

Teresa Sue wrote: "I have my mysteries for the fun and fast that I need from time to time. "

I do similar, though the only mysteries I really read are those by Ruth Rendell.

message 17: by Sue (last edited Jul 10, 2011 10:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I haven't read any of hers yet but I have several favorites I go to when I need my fix and then I'm always learning of new ones. There are so many good mystery authors that I haven't read yet. If I don't like an author after one or two tries, I don't go back. I like ones who have more than a mystery...a strong character, good settings, historical mysteries sometimes. Even some with a slight paranormal edge. But they have to be well written and not a cozy for me.

Teresa Sue wrote: "I like ones who have more than a mystery...a strong character, good settings, ... But they have to be well written and not a cozy for me. "

The reasons I read Rendell! Though I haven't read any of her Wexford novels, so can't comment on them.

message 19: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue When I finish some of the ones lying here around me, I definitely will be giving Rendell a try. I think Barb gave me a few titles. I also want to try Donna Leon.