Lisa's Reviews > Prospero Lost

May 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Read in April, 2011

(originally reviewed on starmetal oak book blog)

Going into this I didn't know what to expect mostly because I never read The Tempest and know only bits and pieces about it. This story follows Miranda, the daughter of the dread Prospero as she tries to uncover what happened to her missing father. Along the way she tries to warn her siblings of the danger to their family and we are faced with the wonders of the supernatural side of reality.

I found it hard to really get into this novel. I don't think it's bad per se, I just found myself indifferent for quite a lot of it. Miranda, as the narrator, is cold and uninspiring. She is a Handmaiden of Eurynome and therefore often calls on her aid in tough situations. I found this to be an easy way to drive the plot forward without much explaination; if Eurynome told Miranda to go somewhere, she went.

Also, I found that the plot was hard to grasp; as the reader and maybe even Miranda, we're not really given a direction to go into. It seemed very arbitrary. One day Miranda would go to find this sibling, and another day go to a ball. There wasn't really a big sense of danger.

Lastly, what bothered me was the choice to include pretty much any and all mythological creatures or realities. There seems to be so much packed into this story that I felt like there wasn't much to tie it all together. I wasn't entirely convinced that all these supernatural beings and legends could really coexist.

Overall, while I wasn't feeling very inspired by the end of Prospero Lost, I think others may enjoy it if you could overlook some of the issues I mentioned. But do be warned: this book ends abruptly and continues in the next installment, Prospero in Hell. I don't know if I'll be continuing the series. C-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prospero Lost.