Miles Weston's Reviews > Shrouded Secrets

Shrouded Secrets by Joel T. McGrath

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: stuff-i-like, overdue-review, own-it, read-twice, can-t-wait-for-sequel, my-thoughts, worth-buying
Recommended to Miles by: Amazon
Recommended for: Fans of MG/YA fantasy/urban-fantasy, paranormal
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** When I picked this book up, I had no idea what to expect. I found out that sometimes going into something without expectations can be a good thing. For instance, I went to see Super-8 this summer because it was hyped as the best movie since...since...I don't know, but they way hyped it up. I grabbed my concealed smacks, bought my ticket and prepared for the best movie that I'd probably ever seen, but it sucked and I wanted my money back.

Now that I've vented about failed, over-hyped expectations, I'll get to this book. The first few pages were awesome-you jump right into the action and you're left wondering the whole way how it's gonna go down in the end. It gets a little slow for a while, but the dialogue stays is crisp and true. By the time the world building happens, it doesn't feel too rushed since you get a small dose of it in the beginning.

I thought David had anger management issues, but they were relatable. His friend Ryan was a piece of needless luggage. Danielle was selfish in the beginning, but I understood why she was such a jerk, and actually started to dig her by the end. I liked the football $ricks, they remind me of the $ricks at my school, and let's see...what else...Seth was a cool guy, it's probably why I ended up liking Danielle in the end, well, until she...Never mind, don't wanna give it away.

Eruditus was pretty an awesome place. I only wish the author could have spent more time there, and less time other places. All in all, I wanted to read more, and while it wasn't totally perfect, I want to read the second in the series now. The ending was one of the best endings that I've seen in a while, and it wasn't a horrible cliffhanger like so many stupid series for the purpose of writing a series are these days.

The powers, and weapons were, um...sweet. The best way that I can describe it would be, Harry Potter, meets Star Wars, meets Highlander, meets like Friday Night Lights.

More reviews to come, now that I've got some time to do them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shrouded Secrets.