Jessi's Reviews > The First Days

The First Days by Rhiannon Frater

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: cillian-murphy
Read from May 17 to 21, 2011

So The First Days is a fast paced zombie thriller where the two lead characters are women,running for their lives from very fast and unexplained zombies. The unexplained Zombie is nothing new, a lot of Zombie films are the same,one morning you wake up and an undead person is in your house and if you get bit you will be a zombie,so I will not bitch about how did this happen? and no background and such as this was the girls story and they are cut off from any real news,so we should not know or have any idea whats coming next which kind of works for the suspense of it all.

The writing is a little clumsey and at some points my eyes may have been a rolling. Katie and Jenni(Jenni with an "i") are the main characters, and well....Jenni is um...stupid really freaking stupid and immature. She is a wife and mother of 2 and a step mother of a teen son. 3 days after her children are brutally turned into zombies she gets all gushy over a guy and jealous that he is not paying enough attention to her, gets all flirty while the zombies are moaning and screaming in the background.
What?
If this was handled in a different way, a new relationship for the girls or a way to deal with whats going on but no, it was so heavy handed and as a woman I was a little insulted. Half of what Jenni did and said was insulting to myself and woman everywhere,alright maybe 40%, but still not good.

Another quick gripe:
The lines "Jenni giggled" are in here like 40 times,all the women in this book giggle, only giggle there is no other way it is described the author could use other words eg.laughed,chuckled and snickered, but nope only giggle...gross.

If you want to read somthing about Zombies chasing and eating people with no care to story development ,then this is the book for you as much as things bugged me about it I enjoyed it and finished it pretty quick.Its just like a horror movie there are glaring issues but you chose it not an oscar winning film for a reason.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Days.

05/17/2011 page 61

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessi Jenni with an "i" is starting to piss me off, she is really dumb like really dumb.

message 2: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 This is on the shelf marked cilliam murphy thus leading me to conclude:

a) Cillian Murphy gave you this book
b) You're going to lend this book to Cillian once you've finished reading it.
c) You have nailed Cillian Murphy to the wall and are actually using him as a bookshelf.

Answers on a postcard to Liverpool please!

Jessi Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "This is on the shelf marked cilliam murphy thus leading me to conclude:

a) Cillian Murphy gave you this book
b) You're going to lend this book to Cillian once you've finished reading it.
c) You ha..."

None of the above, sigh.
Cilian Murphy was in 28 Days later, zombie movie that scared the crap out of me, so zombie books go on the Cillian Murphy shelf.

I think if I did use Cillian as a book shelf he might be cool about it and when I walked by or dusted him he would be like
"bring us a drink love or you look nice today" and wouldn't be all showey and bring up how all Christopher Nolan's best movies he has appeared in. (plus if he did I would bring up that shitty Justin Timberlake movie he was in and that be that)

I laughed my ass off at your conclusions