Linda's Reviews > The Lightkeeper's Ball

The Lightkeeper's Ball by Colleen Coble

F 50x66
May 13, 11

Read in May, 2011

Back at the dawn of a new century, Olivia Stewart and her family were numbered in the Four Hundred–allegedly the most wealthy and distinguished in America. The Stewart family’s wealth had deteriorated, however, leaving the family to rest their security on the Stewart daughters marrying well.

Eleanor Stewart went West to marry Harrison Bennett, but she died before the marriage took place. So the pressure to marry well was shouldered by Olivia Stewart, aka Lady Devonworth, her English title. Using the latter title, she went out to Mercy Falls, California, to put to rest her suspicions of Eleanor’s death being caused by Harrison Bennett, only to find it was no accident. But when she personally meets Harrison Bennett, she finds that he is not the man she thought him to be.

When Olivia holds a charity masquerade ball to raise funds for a new lighthouse, secrets and long-hidden truths are fully exposed. Will she lose Harrison’s love? Her desire is to be loved for herself, not for her wealth status. Can she loosen her ties to money to find God’s unconditional love?

Wow! Colleen Coble, in her book, The Lightkeeper’s Ball, rocks you with fast-turning twists and plots from page one to the very end of the book! About the time you think you’ve figured out the culprit, she’d throw in another twist for you to untangle. The fast-paced plot twists kept me intrigued in a way that I haven’t been challenged for some time.

The smoldering romance with all its bumps and twists keep you wondering if Olivia and Harrison will keep their eyes and hearts open to God and each other. Lies and innuendos abound, causing assumptions that could destroy their relationship. Plus the deadly attempts on Olivia’s life up the ante of suspense, safety and fear. Who is behind all these attacks and sabotage? Colleen keeps the action moving at such a fast pace, you are ‘forced’ to continue reading to find the culprit!

I find that the historical era made it easier for the characters to continue to address Olivia as Lady Devonworth. The circumstances seemed to hide the upsets. The relationships between the maids and servants seemed appropriate for the time and wealth, as did the propriety between the many characters.

I haven’t read any of the previous books in this series, but I found it easy to follow along with these characters. You will find Colleen’s book a great read! But I do want to read the previous ones if this book is any indication of their complexity and suspense!

Special thanks to Audra Jennings, Senior Media Specialist, The B&B Media Group for sending me a review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightkeeper's Ball.