Scott Robins's Reviews > The Klondike

May 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: gn
Read in May, 2011

I'm not a huge history buff so I wasn't sure if I was going to really enjoy the Klondike. But I thought it was important to read since Zack is a friend of mine and I wanted to be able to talk to him about the book. While the story started out a bit slow and it was a bit difficult to get a handle on the large cast of characters, it was a satisfying read by the end of the book. I really enjoyed how the story unfolded through a series of short vignettes with an introductory text piece at the beginning to provide some historical context. Worton has really done his research here and provides readers with an overview of what happened during the major gold rush in Canada. I always knew that this was a pretty major event in Canada but never had the chance to learn about it. Thanks to Zach's GN, I now have a working understanding. Highlights for me included his portrayal of Belinda Mulrooney as a tough-as-nails woman making her mark during the Gold Rush. Teachers will go nuts for this kind of book and could easily incorporate it in history curriculum.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Klondike.