Auntee's Reviews > Never Say Never

Jun 08, 09

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, men-in-uniform, brothers-sisters
Recommended for: Romantic Suspense fans
Read in October, 2007

CIA Operative Matt Callahan is the oldest of the four sexy Callahan brothers (Matthew, Mark, Luke (GIVE HIM THE SLIP)and John) of Brazos Bend, Texas. Nicknamed "Demon" as a troublemaking teen, Matt and his brothers were known for their wild antics. Their mother died when they were young, and their father, overcome with grief, was emotionally unavailable to them for years. Matt always looked after his younger brothers and felt responsible for his part in his younger brother John's violent death.

Matt meets free spirit Torie Bradshaw on a South American island when he agrees to do a favor for her father, General Bradshaw. The General wants Matt to rescue his favorite daughter, scientist Dr. Helen Bradshaw, from suspected drug lords/terrorists. But Torie is Helen's twin, the black sheep of the family, and Matt mistakenly rescues the wrong sister.

Torie is a photographer, a celebrity paparazzo, and she is visiting Helen to check out her sister's unsavory fiancee when she inadvertantly witnesses and photographs a murder. She's literally running for her life when Matt steps in to save her.

There is instant chemistry between them--Torie, who's a James Bond buff, sees Matt as her own real life "double O-yeah", and Matt, who's been fantasizing about Torie (who her thinks is Helen) after watching her for a day, is smitten. *****Slight Spoiler coming**** But what starts out as an exhilerating escape from the bad guys and a smoldering sexual attraction, ends with a thud when Torie accidentally shoots Matt in the leg, effectively ending his career as a field agent.*******

Eighteen months later Torie reappears in Matt's life at his Texas winery/vineyard, asking for his protection when she is threatened by a stalker. Matt is ambivalent about helping Torie. Although he can't deny the attraction he still feels for her, he also resents her for basically ending his career, and she's another distraction he feels he doesn't need. Matt has his own problems with his manipulative father, and he and his brothers are all battling their own demons. Does he really need all the problems helping Torie would bring?

When the stalker's threats become more personal, it's enough for Matt to commit to helping Torie and he keeps her hidden in Brazos Bend. Their relationship reignites, and what starts out as a sexy one night stand turns into much more. Torie knows it's love, but can Matt ever admit to Torie and himself what he feels for her?

I loved this book, it was fast paced and I couldn't put it down! Torie is a wonderful heroine--full of life, honest and gutsy: she lays her heart on the line, actually admiting her feelings for Matt, and this scares him.

Matt is the typical sexy alpha hero, pretending that his feelings for Torie are nothing but sexual attraction and afraid to admit what she really means to him until it's almost too late.

The dialogue and banter between the two is both sexy and often humorous, and there are many hot and steamy moments.

The ending was very endearing, and plays into all Torie's James Bond fantasies--Matt goes all out to woo her, and it left me teary eyed. Wonderfully romantic--I give it 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Say Never.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Jun 08, 2009 07:03AM) (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) This sounds good. I'll have to keep an eye out for the book. I see that Give Him the Slip is the first.

message 2: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Great review as always, Auntee! I feel like I should stop reading your reviews, because you definitely play havoc with my book budget! ;)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) All of my buds on Goodreads are very bad for my book budget.

Pamela(AllHoney) I love this series :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Cool, Pamela. It sounds good. The one with the married/divorced couple I'm kinda meh about. Don't really like that storyline, but since I am OCD about series, I'll have to read that one too.

Auntee Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "Cool, Pamela. It sounds good. The one with the married/divorced couple I'm kinda meh about. Don't really like that storyline, but since I am OCD about series, I'll have to read that one too."

Danielle, that might be the best one of the series!:)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Actually that's great news, Auntee!