dara's Reviews > Nine Stories

Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger

May 13, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2003, read-in-2009
Read in August, 2003

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Stories.

Quotes dara Liked

J.D. Salinger
“They love their reasons for loving us almost as much as they love us, and most of the time more. It's not so good, that way.”
tags: teddy

J.D. Salinger
“You know that apple Adam ate in the Garden of Eden, referred to in the Bible?' he asked. 'You know what was in that apple? Logic. Logic and intellectual stuff. That was all that was in it. So—this is my point—what you have to do is vomit it up if you want to see things as they really are....'

The trouble is,' Teddy said, 'most people don't want to see things the way they are. They don't even want to stop getting born and dying all the time, instead of stopping and staying with God, where it's really nice.' He reflected. 'I never saw such a bunch of apple-eaters,' he said. He shook his head.”
tags: teddy

J.D. Salinger
“You know Sven? The man who takes care of the gym?' he asked. He waited till he got a nod from Nicholson. 'Well, if Sven dreamed tonight that his dog died, he'd have a very, very bad night's sleep, because he's very fond of that dog. But when he woke up in the morning, everything would be all right. He'd know it was only a dream.'

Nicholson nodded. 'What's the point exactly?'

The point is if his dog really died, it would be exactly the same thing. Only he wouldn't know it. I mean he wouldn't wake up till he died himself.”