Grace's Reviews > Blood of the Demon

Blood of the Demon by Diana Rowland

May 13, 2011

it was ok
Read in May, 2011

You know, it just feels like Rowland slacked off on this one. The murder-mystery bit's well sketched out, and I guess the demony bits are still fine, but what rubbed me the wrong way here was characterization.

A lot of the characters turn into two-dimensional plot points. Their behaviours and moods don't seem particularly organic, and sometimes their dialogue looks like this:

Guy: "[Pop culture reference that will be outdated in far less than a decade]"
Girl: internal thought about boys worthy of "Sweet Valley High
Other guy: [Mysterious shifty look]

Have you ever seen a play put on by seventh graders, where they've just learned about blocking? It goes like this:

[CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP to downstage left] "The name of our town's Grover's Corners, New Hampshire." [CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP to center stage] "Just over the line from Massachusetts." [CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP...]

That's what happens for a lot of this book. So between the awkward stage-management and the out-of-the-blue pop culture references (which were NOT character traits in the first book), this just felt off. Really off. It's certainly put me off reading the third, as I suspect the relationship stuff will just get more high school, and people won't ask the questions they should be asking because it's inconvenient for the plot, and I will throw my Kindle in disgust. And I don't want to do that. I like my Kindle.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of the Demon.