Christina's Reviews > America Pacifica

F 50x66
May 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads, read-in-2011
Recommended for: lovers of teen dystopic fiction
Read from May 18 to 22, 2011

Maybe the problem with this book is that I read it t0o soon after Catching Fire, which shone a light on how poorly drawn the protagonist was and how little I cared for her compared to my feelings for Ms. Katniss Everdeen. Overall, I think the premise of this book was good, and I thought many of the details of what it was like in America Pacifica were well done, but I never felt like Darcy was fully developed as a character, and **SPOILER** I didn't understand how she suddenly became a hero to everyone on the island. She didn't even do anything! It just didn't come together for me.

My other problem was the the writing, which improved through the course of the book, but was pretty terrible to start. The first chapter, especially the first few pages, were full of really cringe-worthy sentences, so if you can get through that there is a decent story to follow. If you cannot abide cutesy prose like "her hands shook like dreaming dogs" (it makes my brain hurt just to type that), then this book is not for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America Pacifica.

message 1: by T.S. (new) - rated it 1 star

T.S. I just finished this book and had the same reaction. I love the creativity that went into creating the island, but I'm really peaved with all the detours and rerouting that took place in this story, only for the Darcy to be captured and elevated to the status of island heroine. It was an insult in my intelligence to reread how "important" she was or how "special" she had become when she didn't achieve anything other than understand her mother's history. Very aggravating and insulting.

message 2: by Blaire (new) - added it

Blaire USE the spoiler button provided by Goodreads for that purpose. You can ruin the book for others by ignoring the appropriate method. I was already reading your review when I see the warning and then I try to scroll down to go to the next review and can't help but read the next sentence. Very discourteous of you.

Christina Blaire wrote: "USE the spoiler button provided by Goodreads for that purpose. You can ruin the book for others by ignoring the appropriate method. I was already reading your review when I see the warning and then..."
Sorry you feel this review spoiled the book for you (though I find that hard to believe). I marked the spoiler in my review (which isn't a huge spoiler, and could easily have been avoided by you if you had stopped reading upon seeing *SPOILER* warning). Additionally, this review predates the current spoiler functionality on Goodreads. Do you post this comment on every single review you read that was written prior to the current spoiler tags being introduced?