Nicole Smith's Reviews > Getting It Done: How to Lead When You're Not in Charge

F 50x66
Jul 04, 2011

Read in June, 2011

Favorite quotes:

"It would be a lucky break for you if at least part of the problem were the result of your behavior. Then you could improve the situation by improving your contribution. . . . The more you contribute to a bad situation, the more power you have to change it." p16

". . . solutions are not the answer. The answer is a better process for finding solutions." p21

". . . unless what you do today is related to where you want to end up, you will never get there." p42

". . . the time we have is finite, but the work we could do is infinite." p44

"Perseverance is a virtue - when the goal has been well chosen. The goal of planning, however, is not high-quality plans, but high-quality work. And that will not be achieved by endless planning." p115

"It seems easier to follow a set path than to stop and chart a new course. And perhaps it is, for the moment." p116

"Too often we fail to learn in the famous 'school of trial and error' in time to apply its lessons to the task in which we are engaged." p117

"You can't undo the past. You can learn from it." p117

"You cannot produce feelings on command. You can do things that in turn will affect your feelings." p139

"One of the best ways to improve your own skills is to help others improve theirs." p141

"What we are able to achieve depends on how well we use the resources available to us." p158

"Far from being a sign of weakness, seeking advice shows a drive to improve and the wisdom to seek new ideas." p180

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting It Done.