Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Hellbent

Hellbent by Cherie Priest

Hellbent was not what I thought it would be. After the mediocre first installment, I’d hoped that the second book would show some improvement plotwise and character-wise. However, Hellbent was, in my opinion, inferior to Bloodshot in every way.

The events of Bloodshot proved to be life-changing for vampire Raylene Pendle. (And yes, I still find that name to be very inappropriate for a kickass vampire thief.) Raylene was never much of a team player: she found a way to leave her vampire House unharmed and she always did her very best to stay isolated. But after the loss of her apartment and her warehouse in Bloodshot, she rented a new building and invited some of our old acquaintances to live with her. Pepper and Domino, homeless siblings who squatted in Ray’s old warehouse somehow became her responsibility along with Ian, her blind vampire sometimes-boyfriend. If you add to that the ex-Navy SEAL/drag queen Adrian, Raylene suddenly has a pretty large and fairly dysfunctional family to provide for. Normally, I would have loved that development seeing as I find most of these characters very interesting. Who wouldn’t like a hot vampire who lost his eyesight after the government kidnapped him and subjected him to various cruel experiments? However, in all this, Raylene was very lost as a character. I loved her as a professional thief, but this time around she didn’t really take serious assignments. The brave, resourceful and daredevilish side of her felt completely watered down, not nearly as interesting and/or scary, and she reminded me of a soccer mom.

AND she didn’t steal a damn thing!

Of the three cases she was working on this time, I only found one somewhat interesting, and it was the one that got solved pretty fast. The penis bones were pretty hilarious at first and I loved the opening chapter. However, soon after that, the book took a seriously wrong turn and ended up being pretty boring. And this coming from someone who’s usually a huge fan of vampire politics.

It was still a pretty enjoyable read and I think I might even read the next book. Maybe. Probably not.

So to sum it all up, if you liked Bloodshot, you can pretty much expect more of the same from Hellbent.

I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellbent.

08/31/2011
5.0% "What a great start! Much better than the first book!"
08/31/2011
12.0% ""Why the world won't accommodate my every whim, I just don't know." Yep. That makes two of us, Raylene." 2 comments
08/31/2011
15.0% "Yes! A gruesome murder - always a good sign."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana "Penis bones?" And they are hilarious? I am intrigued.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yes, she gets hired to steal a box of penis bones that can be used for some major spells because they come from various supernatural beings. But it ends up being very disappointing.

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Ah, ok.

Sad to see this series is still not taking properly off. The vampire thief was originally a great idea though.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It was. I really hoped that Bloodshot only suffered from First Installment Curse and that things would get better now, but no luck.

message 5: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Talk about soccer mom...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yeah, but you're fun and interesting. She's just a pathetic former kickass heroine. Kate Daniels adopted without becoming lame in the process. Seriously. Lame.