Jen's Reviews > The Kid in the Red Jacket

F_50x66
Mar 11, 08

bookshelves: child-lit
Read in March, 2008

Howard Jeeter and his family have moved thousands of miles from Arizona to Massachusetts. Nothing is going quite right for Howard; he misses all his old surroundings and friends in Arizona, the kids at his new school seems to ignore him, and he's constantly pestered by Molly Vera Thompson, the annoying 6-year-old who lives across the street. Will Howard finally adjust to his new home? Will Molly ever leave him alone?

Barbara Park has a real gift for writing to children. I've read her books before with 1st graders (Junie B. Jones) and 4th graders (Skinnybones), and in both cases, they were a hit with the students. Just like those books, The Kid in the Red Jacket is filled with humor that children will truly laugh at, and it is told from a perspective that a child will be able to relate to (with several asides about the confusing things that grown-ups sometimes do). Adults might even have some laughs with this book, especially if they can remember and relate to Howard's fears about moving and the difficulties of getting used to a new home.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kid in the Red Jacket.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nancy Then why 3 stars?

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Nancy wrote: "Then why 3 stars?"

As I understand the ratings system for Goodreads, 3 stars means "I liked it", which I did. The Kid in the Red Jacket is a fun read, and if I were marking it on the "4th grade boy enjoyment scale", it would probably be a 5-star book. However, personally, I didn't like Kid in the Red Jacket quite so much as other children's books I've become acquainted with. And I certainly wouldn't think of it as "amazing", the 5-star level. It's a very fun book, so to me, it is a solid 3 stars.