Ryandake's Reviews > The Bricklayer

The Bricklayer by Noah Boyd

May 12, 11

Read in May, 2011

meh.

pretty good plotting, interesting setup, but the characters fall flat. Our Hero is an indestructible guy, modest, quiet, without a depth history... of course he falls for Our Heroine, who is the real problem in this book for me, and who apparently has only one detail in her own history.

if he'd told her once more to make a phone call for him... i mentally demoted her from FBI Deputy Director to secretary. anyway she just exists as a plot device, to have someone to ask Our Hero questions so that all the little plot details can be explained to the reader.

ho-hum.

i figured out who the Big Bad Guy was right where they search Bertok's apartment. so no surprises at the end, alas.

the book's not a bad read for escapist macho fiction. but i was hoping for something a little more. i kept wondering, what do these people like to eat? what do they read? what do they aim for at the movie theater? which animal at the zoo do they find most compelling? and i realized i'd never know the answers to any of those questions, or any others that make a character concrete. so, two stars.

good for escape, not good for any sort of insight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bricklayer.