Hildra's Reviews > Highland Bride

Highland Bride by Hannah Howell

F 50x66
May 12, 11

Read in May, 2011

This is my first Hannah Howell book and although I know this book is far along the Murray Family series, I didn't feel too lost when reading Gylliane's and Connor's story. Especially when she mentions her family's happy marriages. I thought it was a great read and pretty entertaining for her to be defending herself against three suitors at the beginning when she didn't have any before, although it's painfully obvious they want her land and care little for her.

Connor was an unusual hero in the sense that when you learn of his painful background and struggles you feel for him, even when he genuinely doesn't know how to go about the married life with Gilly. He seemed very cold and distant at the beginning and I felt as much anxiety and disappointment as Gilly did and was rooting for her to make warm up to her more. There's plenty sensuality when they get more bold in bed, which was enjoyable but Connor did make it harder to approach him at a more intimate level out of bed. He seemed genuinely wanting to take Gilly's suggestions at making the marriage workable. He was a reasonable "mon" I thought.

The biggest problem I had with the book, amusingly enough was the reading. I thought the story was great but I wasn't a huge fan of "reading" their Scottish accent. It got a bit confusing and tedious to read and since this is my first Howell book I wasn't used to it until maybe halfway to the book but even then it was kind of annoying. I thought it took some away from me concentrating on the story and the information the characters communicated when I was trying to read something like, "’Tisnae a crime one can e’en conceive of. The mon caused so many deaths, nay just those of the MacEnroys."
All type of conversation was written like this, sometimes making it strange to read for me.

Maybe I'll enjoy it more in audio format. Otherwise I enjoyed the book and characters and will read another of her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Bride.