Shelby's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Jan 20, 15

bookshelves: scifi-dystopia, i-love-these, male-pov, rated-s-for-sex, zombies, ya
Read from August 19 to 22, 2011

This book--what can I even say about this book? It's just so...I'm at a loss. I feel numb. I'm still reeling over the ending cliffhanger, but seriously, the entire book was just great. I'd say it was definitely a step up from Feed--it's so close to perfect, although I technically am rating this a 4.5. So to keep this review as organized as possible, I'll divide the book into chunks. And I'll try to keep this book as spoiler free as possible, including the revelations made in Feed. But be warned, I may slip up.

Characters:
The narrator in this book is Shaun, George's brother. It's about a year after the Ryman campaign, and Shaun is still reeling from the consequences of following the presidential campaign. His narration was brilliantly real and deep. He made himself a likeable protagonist but with believable flaws. In Feed, we always saw him from George's POV, so IMO he was always the sidekick willing to poke zombies with a stick. However, Shaun's narration really brought more to his character. I saw his grief, his indecision, and his determination to find the truth -- all of this made me connect with him more and more each chapter. As for the side characters, I feel like we got to know more of the people just barely mentioned in Feed, such as Mahir, Maggie, and Becks. They all had their backstories and individual personalities, and I felt like I was reading about real-life people instead of cookie cutter shades of reality.

Romance:
I didn't need to discuss romance for Feed because there was none. George hated physical contact and Shaun, as I said before, was the metaphorical sidekick who liked shooting things with his gun more than going on dates. And I should note that Deadline doesn't go overboard with the romance. In fact, there is only one chapter that has it, and I think Grant was very tasteful in describing Shaun's relationship. (view spoiler) I won't go deeper, but the briefness of the tryst was more than enough to satisfy me. The people reading this series aren't looking for a mushy Twilight story anyway.

Plot:
Wow, this plot. It was amazing. Compared to the long, sometimes rambling, pace of Feed, Deadline was much faster. There weren't too many zombie attacks in this, but there was revelation after revelation that kept me reading for all 500 pages of the book. I was surprised how deeply involved I was in the plot. There were thankfully very little lulls in the story, letting me get swept away in the momentum that Grant composed every time she brought up a new mystery. Feed was a set up for Deadline in a way. The big worldwide conspiracy that George had discovered at the end of the book now expanded in this book, leading us on a merry chase with the journalists to dig out the KA conspiracy led by the CDC. I could feel the tension and danger oozing off the page. Shaun and co. were constantly in danger with no respite, and I, as the reader, was holding my breath the entire time. I cannot wait for the next book to see how the conflict resolves because...that cliffhanger was amazing. Oh. My. God. Now, I don't consider me a very stupid reader. Sure, I may skim a large paragraph, but I still can't fathom the answer behind what Grant threw at me. Can't she just release the sequel already? I don't want to wait until 2012.

Cons:
I have few qualms with this book, but this isn't a perfect book. There was a little too much rehash of material from Feed, and passages in the later half of the book were redundant. I found myself reading multiple chapters about Maggie's wealth (and amazing house security) or the weaknesses of zombies. Also, there were still a lot of those infodump chapters where Grant spewed huge scientific explanations into one paragraph. Compared to Feed, there were definitely less of them, but I still thought they were unnecessary. The book could've been shortened by 100 pages without any necessary content being deleted.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

Quotes Shelby Liked

Mira Grant
“I just find it interesting that kids apparently used to cry when Bambi's mother died. George and I both held our breaths, and then cheered when she didn't reanimate and try to eat her son.”
Mira Grant, Deadline

08/19/2011 "Well, this story has once again proven that any character can die, no exceptions. :/"
08/20/2011
34.0% "WHAT THE--WHAT?! WHAT!? NOOOO!"
08/21/2011
54.0% "This book defines awesome sauce so far."

message 1: by Ria (new) - added it

Ria It's OUT! WHaaaaa....

message 2: by Ria (new) - added it

Ria I totally didn't notice that it's out. xD

Shelby LOL. I just started. :D (view spoiler)