Brooke Shirts's Reviews > Mother Goose: Numbers on the Loose

Mother Goose by Leo Dillon

Mar 01, 08

bookshelves: picture-books-read-in-2008
Read in February, 2008

Great concept -- a collection of nursery rhymes (some well known, some not) that all feature numbers! I love how the Dillons included illustrative details of nearly everything described in the rhymes: we see the king in the counting house, counting out his money; tiny winged hearts represent "three good kisses / I will give to thee;" and there's twenty-seven wigs for Gregory Griggs to try on. This makes it great for sharing with kids; you can count the pictures as you read. The oversized figures are on clean white backgrounds; their shape and placement guide your eyes through the images in ways that correspond to what's happening in the rhymes. (In other words, it's incredibly well designed.) Spiffing.

What's more problematic is that, no matter how hard the Dillons try, their illustrations always come off more odd and otherworldly than cute. (They had this same problem when they re-illustrated Margaret Wise Brown's "Where Have You Been?") BUT -- I will say that this is my 2-yr-old's favorite book right now. So there you are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother Goose.