Angelc's Reviews > The Colonel's Lady

The Colonel's Lady by Laura Frantz

May 12, 2011

bookshelves: already-own-read, keepers

4.5 Stars

I was very excited to read this book because it is set in the Kentucky frontier in the late 1700's. The author is very knowledgeable about Kentucky history and you can tell she has a great love and respect for the area. She makes you feel like you are right there at the fort with Roxanna and Cass. I was very impressed with the detail of the setting as well as the depth of the story.

The story was heavy at times, often melancholy and a little sad, which isn't what I normally read. However, it fit the harsh setting, and there was always a hopeful, survivor type of attitude that was more uplifting than sad.

I liked the way the Christian message was sent in this one. Roxanna had very strong faith, but whe was never condescending or pushy about it. I especially liked her attitude towards the 'fallen women' at the fort. She never condemned them for their mistakes, she just tried to help them fix the mistakes without scolding.

My favorite secondary character was Bella. She was a no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is breath of fresh air. Her snappy dialogue always added some spice to the story.

The romance was very nice, but I think this book will appeal to others too, not just romance fans. There is so much history here and many story lines other than the romance.

A wonderful, in depth look at the Kentucky frontier, with a meaningful story and romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colonel's Lady.

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Sounds like a good one!! Great review!!

Angelc Thanks, Paula! I think you would like it, I'm pretty sure all of her books are set in KY in this time period.