Rachel's Reviews > The Man from Beijing

The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell

F 50x66
May 12, 11

it was ok

Okay, I freely admit that I am one of those people that tends to think in outline form. I like things to flow in a logical manner. At times, this book made me feel like I was listening to my four year old nephew tell me about a movie. It was here, there, and all over the place, meandering into circumstances in China, Africa, the history of Mao's policies, etc. There were parts where I found myself wondering: did this book have an editor? If so, where were they? I mean, the background of the guy who is giving a speech about Mao's policies and the future of China, did that add anything to the actual plot? Was it necessary? Now, don't get me wrong, I actually thought this author did really a good job in sensitively addressing the issues facing China. I also actually thought that some of the information completely unrelated and unnecessary to the plot was very interesting. Did it still kind of irk me? Yes. I left feeling like the author was trying to lecture me rather than tell an interesting story. And my final bone to pick: the predictability. There were parts and characters that I felt were interesting and engaging but I also thought there could have been a little bit more teased out of them and without that, it became predictable.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man from Beijing.