Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Beauty Chorus

The Beauty Chorus by Kate Lord Brown

May 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011-release, england, historical-fiction, women-in-aviation, world-war-2
Read from May 12 to 15, 2011

I saw this on Netgalley and of course, it being about women in aviation, I had to read it. Though I received the egalley from Netgalley, I am thrilled to be participating in the blog tour.

The Americans had the WASP and England had the ATA, Air Transport Auxiliary. This novel follows three different women, all ATA pilots during WWII for reasons of their own.

Evie is a rich, spoiled girl who is somewhat bored and wishes to get away from her stepmother's evil clutches. Evie is the star. She takes her flight test wearing a mink coat and drives an Aston... for full review, please click the link below:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beauty Chorus.

05/13/2011 page 108
25.0% "Love the characters and the drama that is unfolding. Ready for some flying though."
05/14/2011 page 230
53.0% "Still good. I'm dying to know what the deal is with Stella.."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erin I hope this one is good :)

message 2: by Christy B (new)

Christy B I really want to read this one!

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston I like your reviews and enjoy following them. Out of curiosity, how do you get involved in a blog tour and how do I follow this tour? (Neophyte learning to navigate! Thanks!)

Tara Chevrestt I did get involved in the blog tour and I did that by simply emailing the author from the book website, Ask Evie.

message 5: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston Tara wrote: "I did get involved in the blog tour and I did that by simply emailing the author from the book website, Ask Evie."

Well that's a nice direct way! So if I want to follow this blog tour do I go to your bookbabe website?

message 7: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston Thanks! I really enjoyed this link.

Dawn (& Ron) Misfit directed me to your review and now I am even more interested in reading it. I am glad to see how Amy Johnson is involved, especially since she dies so early in the war. And I am happy to see the author blend fictional characters with historical.

I asked the author, when I found her post on HistoricalTapestry blog, about Amy's death and theories surrounding it. I especially asked about the 1999 accounts from a pilot saying he shot her down, because she didn't know the code word of the day. It surprised me how readily this was accepted by the general British public (I don't think it made a blip in the U.S. press).

I got interested in these ladies after seeing a British biopic on Amy, made in 1942. The film being made during the low points of WWII and shortly after her death, gave it a feeling of immediacy, as some movies of that time tend to do. I also have to add, that the way you describe how Ms. Lord Brown utilizes Amy in this novel reminds me of another WWII movie, 'A Guy Named Joe'. Made in the same year (I think), a Hollywood pic, with Spencer Tracy as the dead pilot, flying along with the new pilots. Can't tell I also have an obsession with classic film, can you?

Tara Chevrestt Found it! Sorry, Dawn, I didn't get an email about this. Forgive me.

They made a movie about Amy.. not a documentary but, a movie star type thing. It's mentioned in TBC. It's not available in the States, however. I would have to flip thru the book and it's on kindle..

Another woman pilot of interest is Chubbie Miller. I read a novel based on her and was disappointed, however, Glory Girl by Yeldham.

message 10: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) Catching up on things since my computer glitches, so now it is my turn to apologize.

Yes, they made a movie on Amy Johnson, it was made in 1942, apparently pushed into production after her death in late '41. You can tell it was used as a patriotic propaganda with it being the dire years of WWII. But it covers her entire life, how she got into flying, her accomplishments solo and with her husband. I can't speak for how realistic it is. It has two titles, one the original UK release and then changed for US release. Do you get TCM (Turner Classic Movies)? I can look up the titles, they escape me right now, if you are interested. Then you can look it up to see when they will be showing it again or I think set it up to send you an email alert when it is going to air.

message 11: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Chevrestt I am very interested but it has to be close captioned for me.

message 12: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) Original UK title 'They Flew Alone', alternate US title 'Wings and the Woman (1942)', I like the UK title better. Here is a summary link that also has the original trailer. http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/95962/... It isn't scheduled to air in the next two months. I thought you would also like this original NY movie review http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/revie...
It is currently only available on DVD in the UK format which doesn't work in the US. I am not sure how to know if it is closed captioned, besides looking in the current TCM guide when it is due to air. I subscribe to that and could let you know when it airs and if it is close captioned, that is if you get that channel.

message 13: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Chevrestt I think I do. I have a satellite disk. I just tried to check the tv guide but the entire box froze up on me.. ugh. I loathe technology sometimes. But yes, I want to see it. I noticed when I looked weeks ago (while I was reading the book) that there wasn't an American format. :(

message 14: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) I want to copy it next time it is on, so that I will have it to view during and/or after reading the book. It aired in April, so it should hopefully be on again sometime this summer. I will keep you posted. Were you able to view the trailer? I wish I could find the original UK trailer to see the take they had on it. I loved reading that 1942 movie review, that takes you back!

Do you know about the a US movie made, later during the war, of the Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron entitled 'Ladies Courageous'. I haven't been able to see this one yet. It stars Loretta Young (don't know if you know the classic film stars), so it wasn't a low end production. No air date for this one either, here is a link http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/80577/...

message 15: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Chevrestt I found it.. There's a few copies on ebay for only 15 dollars.. However, it does not appear to be close captioned. I have contacted the seller to ask, but I don't think it is. :(

message 16: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Chevrestt And I was not able to view the trailer.. didn't see that option on my screen.. but I did read the review. Cool stuff. I wonder why they don't make a modern movie about the WASP?

message 17: by Dawn (& Ron) (last edited Jun 11, 2011 07:59PM) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) See if either of these links works for you, copy and paste into your address window.

Sadly you can't hear it but if you would like a summary, I will do my best to write it up for you.

You would think in today's atmosphere that a lot of women would be receptive to a story like this. Sadly, the recent misfire of the Earhart movie would probably hurt any chances right now.

message 18: by Dawn (& Ron) (new) - added it

Dawn (& Ron) Or here is a link to the page for the trailer. http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/14...

Hopefully one of these will work for you. And let me know if you would like a summary.

message 19: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Chevrestt Ah ha! That last link is working. Thank you.