Laurie's Reviews > The First Four Years

The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

May 12, 11

Read in May, 2011

This book was, finally, refreshingly honest. I loved the previous 8 books, but was always a bit bothered at how Laura's true feelings were rarely described. Finally hearing about the boredom that Laura felt as a new mother, about how she didn't want Manly to be a farmer, and how she occasionally hated the stink of their farm stock was quite satisfying to me.

And, "Manly?" Two things about this nickname: first, have I been pronouncing his name incorrectly? Is it not "Ahl-MAHN-zoh?" Second, I wish we had read this sooner. So endearing and telling of their friendship-based relationship. What guy wouldn't want his nickname to be 'Manly?' ;)

As an adult, I now understand why these books are classics. In many ways, I wish I could go back and live as Laura did. Life was so hard, but so simple. People in her time avoided debt, valued self-education, and spent most of their lives working out doors. What wonderful ideals to strive for.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Four Years.