Destinee Sutton's Reviews > Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Jun 01, 2011

bookshelves: grown-up-books, biography-memoir, funny
Read from May 12 to June 01, 2011

Until I read this book, Amy Krouse Rosenthal was known to me only as a children's book author (the really funny, talented author of such gems as Duck! Rabbit! and Little Oink). When I found out she'd written a book for adults, I thought it would probably be as irreverent, amusing and creative as her books for young people. I was right!

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life is unlike most other memoirs. It's a reference book about Amy's existence made up of very short entries of completely random Amy-related information. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes poignant. Many times she shares one of those spot-on observations about life that you've never really thought about, but know instantly to be true. For example, from the entry "BOWLING" comes this reflection: "It would be difficult to convince me that leaning has no effect whatsoever on the outcome of my bowling."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life.

Quotes Destinee Liked

Amy Krouse Rosenthal
“It would be difficult to convince me that leaning has no effect whatsoever on the outcome of my bowling.”
Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life