Marianne's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

May 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011reads, classics, family, fiction, love, re-read, favourites
Read from May 12 to 19, 2011

There's a reason this book is a classic and has been retold countless times and every time I re-read it I find new reasons why it is so beloved. The humour still causes a smile and you just can't help but get sucked back in no matter how many times you've read it.

I've read the story too many times to count, but I still find little lines and comments that seem new to me when I read it. Is Elizabeth the most likeable heroine in literature? No. Is Mr Darcy the perfect man? Probably not but the point is that when you put them together, magic happens and two people, who should not be a fit for each other, somehow are perfect together and sometimes you want to slap Darcy or strangle Elizabeth but that's part of the charm and if you haven't read it, please do! It is charming, it is witty and it is a book that just makes you smile at the end of it.
Likeflag

Quotes Marianne Liked

Jane Austen
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

Jane Austen
“A person who can write a long letter with ease, cannot write ill.”

Jane Austen
“You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged; but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever.”