Teresa Lukey's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: own-it, fiction, kept-me-wondering, omg, 4-stars
Read from January 15 to 21, 2012

This really was a creepy, "what the heck is going on" story. For me, I only started to pick up on the possibilities towards the end of the story because like the stories main character, Christine, I kept wavering between believing thinking Christine's husband, Ben, is lying to protect her or doing it for another more sinister reason.

In Before I Go To Sleep, Christine has suffered a trauma that causes her to wake each day without memory of the past. When I told my husband the premise of this book, he said, "oh, like 50 First Dates" and I could help but laugh. Reader do not be misled, the 24 hour memory is the only piece in common with that sweet little movie.

Christine's case is unique and at some point she is contacted by a therapist, Dr. Nash, who would like to help her regain her memory. They agree to keep the sessions from Christine's husband and at the same time Christine starts a journal. Each day after Ben has left for work, Dr. Nash calls Christine to remind her of the journal and this is how she reminds herself what has recently happened. As the days go on, she starts to learn about her past and starts asking her husband questions. In the process she catches him in several lies, but finds ways to justify his actions throwing the reader off the trail to the dark side.

This was a book I did not want to put down, it kept me wondering and horrified me at the same time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.

01/17/2012 page 102